Prince Harry has “absolutely no regrets” after docuseries Harry & Meghan aired on Netflix last week, despite previously asking for delays and edits to the highly anticipated show.
The Duke of Sussex was said to be delighted by the turnout of the reported $158 million series, according to a source close to him, The Sun reports.
The reaction may come as a surprise to some after the Prince was said to have wanted to make extensive cuts and delay its release following the death of his grandmother Queen Elizabeth II in September.
Harry was said to have been frantically asking Netflix to hold off on airing the series until after Christmas – while asking for “major changes”.
But an insider says Harry is now thrilled with the outcome – and wants nothing more than for his family, namely dad King Charles and brother Prince William, to watch it.
The source, who was a close friend of Princess Diana, told The Mirror: “Harry is delighted with the narrative of the documentary and how he and Meghan came across.
“The reason for doing this was to share their truth on their lives.
“He feels it told the story he wanted the world to hear and has absolutely no regrets.”
The insider said Harry, 38, now wants his family to watch the docuseries so they get a full understanding of the struggles he and wife Meghan Markle, 41, faced.
They said Harry is keen to make “some kind of peace” with his family, despite other insiders claiming the documentary had only made matters worse and saddened the royal family.
During the first three episodes of the documentary, which were released on Thursday, the couple discuss Megxit, with Harry speaking of the “unconscious bias” of racism within the monarchy.
The source said: “Harry and Meghan hope family members and courtiers will watch or, more importantly, listen to their comments.
“But they know nothing they speak about will be addressed in public.
“They hope it may prompt a greater understanding from the King and the Cambridges of how Harry and Meghan feel about their experiences in England.
“Harry retains hope for a reconciliation. He loves his father and brother, no matter what people think.”
The insider likened Harry’s decision to make the documentary to his mother’s decision to “speak her truth” about her marriage to Charles in Andrew Morton’s book.
They said: “One of Diana’s reasons for speaking out was to help senior royals have an understanding of the impact on others caught up in the Firm.
“She and Harry were both brave enough to fight back.”
But, other sources claim the documentary has only pushed the Sussexes and the royal family further apart.
One said it was unlikely the brothers would ever repair their relationship now the documentary had been released.
Another said William was “infuriated” Harry had disobeyed him, and included Martin Bashir’s “deceitful” Panorama interview with Princess Diana in the docuseries.
This article originally appeared in The Sun and was reproduced with permission
Originally published as Prince Harry’s reaction to Netflix docuseries after demanding ‘extensive cuts’